Ruby on Rails with CMS and other fun stuff
Been working about a month now on a Ruby on Rails project. The goal of the product is to make a site that can be spun up numerous times as a Saas product. I has to include
- CMS elements
- Settings area to change logo, colors etc.
- Connect to a remote SOAP API to create cloneable content from and users.
- User admin area with Roles
- Ckeditor that integrates with Paperclip on non-cms pages.
- Heroku deployment strategy
It really has been a fun project as I get to see all the great gems out there that make alot of this possible without a ton of custom work. Though unlike other frameworks I have used it is super easy to customize the MVC parts of the gems as needed which has made my work a ton more enjoyable.
Some of the gems used so far
- Savon to talk to the SOAP API
- Paperclip Gem to manage images with Amazon S3
- Devise to help with authentication and signup
- RefineryCMS to provide the highly customizable CMS part to this
- VCR to help mock up the tests
- Ckeditor with Rails and Paperclip Integration
I am finalizing the VCR test now. I did not do TDD on that part of the project since the IT on the other end where still working out the endpoints in the API. VCR has been a great help there to speed up the tests. And of course RailsCasts.com for going over both Savon and VCR!
A demo of the project can be seen here as well.
comments powered by Disqus